Tuesday, 20 September 2016

Public secondary schools in Borno State to reopen two years after closure due to Boko Haram insurgency

 
 
Public secondary schools will be reopened on Monday, September 26th, two years after they were closed due to Boko Haram insurgency.

The public schools were shut in March, 2014, after suspected terrorists attacked a school in neighbouring Yobe. The government reopened the primary schools in 2015 but could not do so with the secondary schools because they had been taken over by IDPs
The state Commissioner for Education, Alhaji Inuwa Kubo, who disclosed this yesterday in Maiduguri, said that Internally Displayed Persons (IDPs) occupying the schools had been relocated to allow for resumption of academic activities.

 He added that all the structures in the schools had been repaired to provide conducive environment for teaching and learning.
 "I wish to announce that on Sept. 26, all public schools are going to be re-opened. I want to state that government has repaired all the structures damaged by the IDPs in the schools, to ensure comfort for the returning students. Parents and guardians should please make sure that they send their children back to school," he said.
The Commissioner described as unfortunate, the actions of  proprietors of private schools who took undue advantage of the development to hike their school fees.
"We understand that some of them have taken undue advantage of the closure of public schools to hike school fees; we will not allow the situation to continue. We are going to visit the schools to find out how much they are charging and how much they are paying their teachers."
Source: Daily Trust

Share this Post:





Related News

No comments:

Post a Comment