Soft drinks etc is one of the most consumed beverages in the Nigeria, second only to water. Here in Nigeria, we consumes upto 57 gallons of soft drinks per person every year as form of refreshment after a hectic day, on the road during a frustrating traffics form of entertsinment and all that, as if it wasn’t full of sugary calories. But what’s happening inside the bodies of soda consumers with each sip?,sugary drinks increase the risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and other chronic conditions. So today Healinic will be discussing more on dangers of soft drinks.. awareness as they say is far better than cure..
Here are the Reasons Why you need to Reduce Soft drinks intake.
1 High Risk of Cancer : There have been many studies that have looked at the links between various
types of cancer and fizzy drink consumption,
Drinking just one fizzy drink a day could increase a man’s chance of developing prostate cancer by around 40 per cent, secondly Drinking just one-and-a-half cans a day can increase a girl's breast cancer risk by per cent and lastly Some chemicals that are used to colour soft drinks can cause cancer.
2. They Can Cause Diabetes: Sugar-laden drinks have been proven to increase cases of Type 2 diabetes. A study conducted between 1990 and 2000 estimated that the increased consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks contributed to 130,000 new cases of diabetes.
3. They Can Cause Premature Birth in Women: Pregnant women were warned against drinking diet fizzy drinks after a study taken in Denmark on 60,000 women. Those who drank artificially sweetened soft drinks, whether fizzy or still, were found to be more likely to give birth prematurely. It was thought that the chemicals in the artificial sweetner changed the wombs of the women.
4. They Can Damage the Brain: As well as affecting the body, fizzy drinks have been found to alter the protein levels in the brain, which could lead to hyperactivity.
5. They can Make One Violent: A study carried out on teenagers found a link between drinking fizzy drinks, violence and the likelihood of them carrying a weapon. The researchers found that even teenagers who drank just two cans a week were more aggressive towards their friends and those who drank five or more cans a week were also more likely to have drunk alcohol or smoked at least once in the previous month.
6. Liver Damage : A study from 2009 found that sugary drinks can cause fatty liver disease and drinking just two cans per day could lead to liver damage.
Beverage companies know the haphazard sugar cycle all too well. In the United States, they spend approximately $3.2 billion in marketing each year in an effort to tempt consumers to pick up a liter of brown bubbly sugar with their pizza, or a case of cans for their child’s next birthday party. Those little children have an 80 percent increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes if they become regular soda drinkers. Their future will be one full of kidney problems, reproductive issues, osteoporosis, asthma, and bad teeth with dissolved tooth enamel.