Saturday, 19 August 2017

3-year-old boy killed along with mum and his uncle in Barcelona terror attack - as families desperately search for missing


The death toll in yesterday's attack in Las Ramblas has now risen to 14. A three-year-old boy, his mum and uncle are among those killed when a terrorist driving a hired van ploughed into pedestrians in central Barcelona yesterday afternoon.
The Spanish family were enjoying the afternoon on the busy Las Ramblas promenade when the horrific attack unfolded. The uncle, named locally as Francisco Lopez Rodriguez, 65, was killed along with his niece and her son, who was one of the youngest victims. Mr Rodriguez's wife
survived and is being treated for serious injuries in hospital.

Among those still missing since yesterday's attack is a British child with dual nationality - believed to be seven-year-old boy Julian Cadman, from Sydney. The boy became separated from his mother, Jumarie 'Jom' Cadman during the chaos. His mum has been found in a serious but stable condition in hospital, but family have been unable to find Julian. Julian's father Andrew is flying to Spain from Australia to lead the search for his son.


Julian's grandfather Tony Cadman, originally from Gillingham in Dorset but now living in Sydney, posted a heartbreaking appeal on Facebook to locate his missing seven-year-old grandson.
Also, an American woman who had been celebrating her first wedding anniversary is desperately searching for her missing husband. Heidi Nunes said she and her husband Jared Tucker, from California, were shopping in Las Ramblas when the van veered into the crowd. She had been looking at jewellery while her husband she thought was using the bathroom. She hasn't seen him since.
Nunes told NBC News: "Next thing I know there’s screaming, yelling. I got pushed inside the souvenir kiosk and stayed there hiding while everybody kept running by screaming, and then the police eventually made us evacuate."
Italian foreign ministry has also confirmed a young Italian engineer died next to his fiancee in the atrocity. Luca Russo, 25, from Bassano Grappa, was on holiday in the city with Marta Scomazzon, who was also injured. An hour before he was reported among the dead, his sister posted on social media, writing: "Help me bring him home, please".
Mourners observe a memorial for the victims and thousands of people attended a moment of silence on Friday.


No comments:

Post a Comment